Friday, May 11, 2007

A Short Interview with Narain in Anandha Vikatan


Mr.Natarajan Sivakumar has translated a short interview with Narain that has appeared in Anandha Vikatan, Tamil magazine for Narain4u.com


It was an hot yellowish sunny day when I met Narain, who was keeping both of his hands wide open facing the sky. It was his house in T Nagar, Chennai.

"Chithiram Pesudhadi" was an excellent opening for me, but yet my second Tamil film "Nenjirukkum Varai" did not do well. That was a minor slip for me, but now I got up again. Thankar sir's "Pallikoodam" will fetch me a good name for sure. That movie's subject is homelier than "Azhagi" (Thankar's previous hit). I am appearing as collector 'Vetrivel'. Wonderful role. What if the man, who is sleeping with in all of us comes out and speak?, It is like that. Even when Thankar sir told the story to me, Vetrivel moved into my mind. I am sure, people would like him."

"I have studied Cameraman's course in film institute. 'Jayam' Raja and 'Bommarillu' Baskar were one year seniors to me. When I entered film world, both of them were my only friends. Then I worked as Rajiv Menon's assistant. I traveled to many towns for commercial films. But, I wanted to be in Cinema, either behind the camera or in front of it..both of them are ok to me."

"After Chithiram Pesudhadi, I had about a dozen movie offers, but all of them came with 'Arival' (Country knife) that I had to lift for the story. To avoid being stereotyped, I rejected them. Many offers came in Malayalam movie world too. I did 'Classmates' and it was an hit and they gave a warm welcome too. I am only son in my family. Parents told me, when all of us here, why don't you just act in Malayalam movie, why are you staying back in Chennai alone...But, I love to make impact in Tamil and achieve big. I studied here, why to act only in Malayalam? So, I told I would do Malayalam too, but let me win in Tamil first..."

"I have a simple process to select my movies. First I should like the role I am going to do. Then it should fit me. I do not want a simple action or some jolly duets. Story has to be different. That's why I choose 'Nejirukkum Varai'. Even when the movie did not well, as an actor, I liked my role. Through out the movie, I would carry a pain and it gave me a lots of scope. For some reason, people did not like it and I am kind of sad about that."

"Now, I am doing 'Ore Kadal' with Mammootty and Meera Jasmin and 'Pandhaya Kozhi' in Malayalam".

When asked about the gossip about his love marriage,
"Don't kid me...In my home, parents have started looking for a bride for me. Because they were adamant, I said ok and went to look at her. By then, media has written that I am engaged, got married...etc! Since I have come to public live, I take it easy...but what about that woman? Shouldn't they confirm with me before writing? anyway, I have not had any engagement. I am keeping my heart open for the unknown angel. Not sure where she is!"

Any wish for Oscar award....? Narain laughs..."looks like you have made up your mind to finish me! Let me buy a good 'car' first!..."

No comments: